ACS Professional Staffing is looking for an employee to work on-site with our client. The Engineering Technician 3 position provide cost estimates and other capital program support for Capital expansion and sustain engineering and construction projects. This support includes coordinating process improvements, operational excellence efforts, creating and facilitating granular TPW activities and facilitation and coordination between engineering staff, project manager, program managers and various planning and engineering organizations. This full-time position is located in Vancouver, WA.
Because we are a federal government contractor, we have special restrictions placed on us for hiring foreign nationals into certain key positions within the company. This particular position requires U.S. citizenship.
ACS Professional Staffing will provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, gender, genetic information, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal or state law. The company will provide reasonable accommodations to allow an applicant to participate in the hiring process if so requested.
- Draft estimates for Capital projects for high voltage substation, line, communication, relay, and control projects.
- Draft complex construction takes off estimates for bundled high voltage transmission assets.
- Provide input in regard to the full spectrum of estimating needs for integration of cross organizational process improvement and requirements gathering for data driven solutions.
- Initial components for development of assemblies and compatible units for improved estimating
- Development of basis for new cost estimate typical for high voltage substation assets.
- Collaborate and coordinate with various design and/or planning engineers, program managers, project managers, commodity managers, environmental and land representatives, providing input in development of project scope and incorporating their feedback into estimates.
- Prepare detailed design, material and/or procurement specification for equipment, verifying that technical tradeoffs have been considered and that decisions conform to existing policies and standards and are within budgetary constraints.
- Provide planning support, coordinate plans of service with stakeholders and implement management approved plans for assigned projects.
- Perform field research by traveling to remote sites throughout the service area to collect physical data from transmission assets such as transmission lines, radio stations and substations; use data to factor into numerous estimates
- Prepare preliminary design layouts for estimating costs of High Voltage Substation, Line, and Communication & Control projects.
- Compile technical results in summary form such as tables, reports and graphics to support engineering staff
- Analyze actual vs. estimated costs of projects, monitoring market trends and update the estimating Catalog and “typical” estimates based on findings.
- Provide input and analysis of bids received for turnkey work to explain variances and provide feedback to estimating for improvement of overall work and catalog updates.
- Provide input and recommendations to TPW Management, Project Management teams and other asset management personnel in regards best practices on cost estimation techniques; facilitate training and knowledge sharing throughout TPW to verify consistent, comprehensive, and accurate project cost estimates
- Support, develop and maintain databases related to engineering, scientific and administrative applications.
- An Associate’s Degree in Engineering Technology, Construction Management, Computer/Information Technology (or closely related field or a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science (or closely related field) is preferred:
- With an applicable Bachelor’s degree, 6 years of experience is required.
- With an applicable Associates degree, 8 years’ of experience is required.
- Without an applicable degree, 10 years of experience is required.
- Experience must be consistent with the specific requirements of engineering, computer science or a related field.
- Directly related engineering technician experience, sufficient to enable candidate to translate engineering requirements into design and material specifications and correlating cost estimates.
- 3+ years’ experience in reading construction drawings and specifications.
- Prior electric utility work experience
- Proficiency in technical writing
- Knowledge of SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) data / tools
- Working knowledge of Computer Aided Drafting (CAD)
- Experience applying engineering principles, techniques, and practices relating to High Voltage Substation, Line, and Communication and Control projects, sufficient to translate engineering requirements for customer facilities into conceptual designs and accompanying cost estimation
- Experience in the design and or construction of High Voltage Substations, Lines, or Communication, Relay and Control projects. Experience in multiple disciplines
- Knowledge of system project requirements diagrams, control diagrams, electrical one-line diagrams, and engineering sketches
- Valid U.S. Driver’s License is required.
- Work sponsorship not available at this time. No third-party candidates considered for this position.